Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Randomness...

There are days when we do school that I want to beat my head against a wall, when I panic thinking my child is going to be dumb, that I just can't take it anymore. Then there are days like yesterday, that make the other 364 worth living.
School work was so...dare I utter it?...smooth. Lillie's attitude was chipper and she didn't whine or gripe or cry around or act like she didn't know what her name was when it came time to write it on a paper. I realize that I have jinxed myself for today , at least. But I was so proud of the way she buckled down and worked so independently and happily and don't think I didn't brag on her till her head got too big for the room, either. So, a word of encouragement to homeschool mammas that feel they see more rough days than smooth...when the going gets tough, it just makes the smooth days so much sweeter, so hang in there. (Big encouraging slap on the back...)
Haven't posted photos lately, or school work we're into. For one, I've been so sick with Davis kid #4 and am just now returning to a normal routine and it's been kinda boring around here. But I'll post some today...

Chloe's hair does some weird stuff when the ponytail holders come out...however...
At one time, hair like that was considered cool...
Better... Okay, is there anything a bowl (or two) of slightly warm homemade chocolate pudding won't cure? "MAGNIFICO!"

Very pretty fall leaf collages...


Okay, so we've established that the mode of punishment of making siblings sit together on the couch because they can't stop bickering doesn't always work out...most of the time there's one kid that's sedistic enough to take pleasure in their siblings obvious distress...

This is classic...
Yes, folks, she was in the fetal position on the recliner for a good 15 minutes after the trauma...


I'm beginning to think I overspent at Christmas...a roll of kitchen string for $1.88 would have sufficed...
Yes, more pics of Chloe eating...it's hard to shoot a picture of her doing anything else...


Oh, the pleasure of extra cheese....

Christmas came....and went.

Does it get much cuter? I think not...

The kiddos were so worn out by the night's festivities that it was hard to keep order. They went from pouting to clapping, to laughing, to scowling...it was hilarious.
Getting out some of that Yuletide agression...
Look at the face! He was very upset...of course....
We did make them sing us a couple of songs before we let them open gifts...that might have had something to do with it.
Such concentration... The tree at our house...Every single ornament on this tree is either cloth or plastic for obvious reasons. The kids about drove me nuts rearranging the ornaments. Not sure, but i think we just woke him up?
In school news, yesterday we read "Sugar on Snow" and watched a video of how trees are tapped and how maple syrup is made.





Wanted to do this activity, but didn't have any real maple syrup and I'm not sure our snow is all that pure, if you know what I mean. Lillie did her story journal...for those not familiar, this is my solution to the lapbook problem... See, I love lapbooking, but it's so involved sometimes and i have to do most of the work. I wanted something Lillie could use to look back on stories we've read and some information we learned. So, I bought composition notebooks and I print up fact cards that relate to the story and then she puts them in a pocket. Now, she can go back and review the information whenever she wants. It allows her to self-teach a bit and it's alot easier on me. The fact cards for this story were on Vermont, where the story took place and how to tap a maple tree.





I have wanted to start some vocabulary with Lillie, so here's what we're using. I got through the books or the lesson we are studying and I pull out a few strange to her words, and write them on index cards with the definition on the back. We use them for review and then they are filed in this nifty vinyl coupon sorter I bought for a dollar. It works pretty good.

Have a blessed day!









1 comment:

  1. looks like your back in the swing of things... I bet that makes you feel much better. Thank you for the encouragement I needed for sure. Hope you have a great day. B

    ReplyDelete