Search This Blog

Monday, July 26, 2010

Seeing Things Through Different Eyes...


What a morning! Loaded all 4 kiddos up and was at the Health Dept. at 8 am. Chloe was being very difficult, but we made it through without too much incident. Then went to Wal-Mart and a nice elderly man, as I was swiftly passing by, said "My look at all those children..." Uh-oh, here it comes, I thought...I waited..."What a blessing." he said and smiled real big at me. I breathed both a sigh of relief and a breath of satisfaction. See, when I go out with all the kids, which isn't very often , I'm used to hearing lots of things. If you have more than two, possibly even more than one, child, you've heard them. The snide, often times rude comments people make. Even worse are "the looks". Anyone out there know what I'm talking about?

Well, I had to go to Kroger as well and that experience was quite different. The kids were all in meltdown mode and Lillie pitched the biggest Diva fit ever in the frozen food isle because I made her get off the bottom of the cart and let Jack ride because that little goober couldn't keep his shoes on his feet and Chloe was...well, Chloe...getting her little hand slapped repeatedly. THe only one that was good was Tyler, but he was asleep somewhere under the frozen food, I think. LOL. (Note to Anyone pondering having lots of kids real close together: Think about buggy/shopping cart logistics LOL) Well, so we're in the checkout and the meltdown is well into it's 2nd round. I'm writing checks, scanning cards, smacking hands, you name it, I'm multitasking. And then I catch it: The lady behind me. With "that look" on her face. That look of disdain and disbelief and near disgusted, the one that shouts "You ought to be ashamed of yourself for having that many kids , let alone bringing them out in public." . ANd I'm gonna get real here...for a moment, the enemy made me ashamed. He used that one look to shake me up , real good. I was, honestly, for a minute, ashamed of myself and almost cried right there in the checkout...but I couldn't let that happen. I rushed out and loaded the kids into the car and just sat in my seat and ate half a pack of two bite cupcakes (which, by the way, I can eat in one bite when I'm stressed) and fought back tears.
Della, you ought to be ashamed..but not of the size of your crew, but of your attitude towards what God has blessed you with.
I'm so glad GOd loves me, even when I mess up and let things go through my thoughts that shouldn't. That he forgives my moments of ingratitude. That lady behind me wasn't looking at my situation through the right eyes. I turned around and looked at my crew...really tried to see them as the One who created them and gave them breath sees them. Much like he sees you and me. Cranky, rebellious children with our selfish acts and tendencies, our inability to obey simple commands. Yet He loves us with a love that is not measureable by man's standards. So I challenge you that interact with children, to see them like God sees them...like He sees you.

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment