Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What My Children Have Taught Me...

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."
As a mama to 4 (still can't get used to writing that) small children, my aspiration is to teach them everyday. Some days I teach them good things. Other days, to my shame, I'm afraid they're not learning to much good.
But every mama , I would imagine, could say that her children have taught her far more...things about herself, about life, and about God. I was pondering this thought the other morning and tried to think what my children have taught me about God, in particular.
Lillie, for instance, has taught me that God can completely transform a person's life, their attitudes, their point of view when they fully surrender and let him. I was saved by God's grace two days before I found out Lillie was on her way. Before that day, children were the furtherest thing from my mind. Children tied you down, made you give up things, were harder work than they were worth. I'm being honest. But I have maintained that God knew I would not be the best mother I could be aside from His hand on my life, the change salvation brings. So, he worked on me for a long time and when I finally accepted Him I had no idea that change was immediately on the horizon. I was scared sick when I found out I was pregnant. I am so not cut out for this, Lord was my thinking. But God knew otherwise and worked on changing my attitude and my heart and my nasty little ways from square one. Am I the best mother I can be? Nope, not by a longshot. But I am thankful that my attitude was changed and that God's hand has been so apparent in my life as I've tried and am still trying to learn how to be a mom.
Jack is my little miracle boy. Jack taught me that God's hand protects and that he's in control even when we don't see it and when we have no clue that there is anything we need protecting from. Had things not gone the way they did when he was born, he might not have been here today.
Chloe teaches me about God's patience and his mercy. She hit her terrible threes about a year early and with Tyler's arrival, man oh man, has she ever stepped it up. But then I look at the way she acts and I see, very clearly, that I act much the same way and God still loves me enough to have mercy.
And Tyler....well, he's taught me that God answers prayers and that He's able to do all things. I know God answers prayer...sometimes He does it and we miss it, or He does and , because it's not how we would have done it, we dismiss it. But I can't remember a time in my life since I've been saved that He's blatantly answered so many prayers. God has been with me every step of this journey and He will continue to be...of this I am certain.
So, what have your children taught you?
Have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment