Search This Blog

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Teach Me, O Lord!


I'm always hearing about "teachable moments". Those opportunities that come along this path of life to teach and instill something needful and worthwhile into our children. So, being that I have a Heavenly Father, does he use "teachable moments" with his kids as well? I think the answer is most certainly "yes". He's like the King of teachable moments! ! There have been so many times that I've just been going about life, minding my own business when something very simple or mundane will occur, but God speaks in that small still voice, revealing some bit of truth to me.


Yesterday, Jack and I were listening to some peppy gospel quartet music and I was snapping my fingers. I glanced over and he was just staring at me. (He's bad to do that...it can be a bit creepy at times) "Uhhh, why are you looking at me like that?" No answer, just that stare. Then it hits me...he's staring at my fingers. He's a bit baffled at the neat sound coming from them. He has discovered...snapping, which he couldn't do , much to his frustration. I told him it was something that came with age and practice and he was simply amazed. I was THE coolest mom on the planet. He had a sense of wonder about him. Enter, THE TEACHABLE MOMENT..........


In the Book of Job, one of Job's friends instructs him to "stand still and consider the wondrous works of God." God is the author and creator of wonderous things. The fact that this world exists at all, the complexity of the human body, the beauty of nature are just a few of the biggies everyone can "wonder" at. But what about those individual things, those simple works he does in the lives and hearts of people that go unnoticed by the masses? Because they are "small" to others, does that warrant any less awe and wonderment? No way! In my opinion those are the things I ought to remember and meditate on... those works he's done in my life. His constant provision, how His Word shows me new things everyday and instructs me, his mercy and grace given freely on a daily basis, my salvation, my health, how he answers prayer and knows my every thought (wonderous, but sobering at the same time.) But how many times do I just sit in awe at His goodness? His holiness? His power and might? From Jackson's amazement over something so small as me snapping my fingers, I got such pleasure out of his wonder and amazement of what I was doing. Similarly, I need to be amazed and excited at what my Heavenly Father is doing in my life. My prayer needs to be as David prayed, "Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wonderous things out of thy law." I challenge myself and you to live a more wonderous life. The psalmist wrote "That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wonderous works." Consider it published, Lord, with bountiful thanksgiving.

1 comment:

  1. That is so cute about your son, LOL. And amen to the rest! I LOVE sermons that leave their mark (a good spiritual whupping, if you kwim?) we got one today in church but MAN it's been a long time. (It wasn't our pastor, but a retired pastor who is a member of our church). Preach on!

    ReplyDelete