Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Thing I'm Most Thankful For...


It's one of my favorite times of the year. I've been prancing around humming "Count Your Blessings" as I make out recipe lists, gearing up for , in my opinion, the most neglected of holidays! Thanksgiving. It's a shame our society , overall , seems to recognize that we have something to be thankful for one day out of the year. Honestly , everyday ought to be Thanksgiving. We ought to live Praise filled lives. In my devotions last week, I was forced to look at my own contentment. When we are bogged down with how we can get more and bigger and better, we miss out on enjoying what God has given us. He's been good to me and he has given me EVERYTHING he desires me to have and ALL of my needs. The Word says that "godliness with contentment is great gain." Thanksgiving ought to be much more than a day where we overeat and watch football and nap. Nothing wrong with those things, but I'm just saying , there ought to be more thanks in thanksgiving.

So, in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I'm gonna share my testimony of the best thing that ever happened to me (and it wasn't the day McDonald's started Free Coffee Mondays, either.) If I have one thing (and of course I have many) to thank God for, it would be my salvation.

In January, I will have been born again, saved by grace, for six years. Counting it up now , it doesn't seem possible that it's been that long ago, but, it has. I had never been in church much until I met Jody, and his dad being a preacher, we went to church quite a bit. My father in law was the first real preacher I heard. And , to this day, he's my favorite. I think there will always be a special place in every Christian's heart for the man of God that cared enough to give you the truth about your situation. Now, by the world's standards, I was a pretty good person. Hard working, trying to be nice to others, with my moments of rebellion. But I was a sinner, simply put, because , if for no other offense, I denied the existence of the God that created me and ignored the fact that I was in a state of separation from him. The Lord was on my trail from the very first church service I attended and he didn't let up. After Jody and I were married, I had gone to the alter a couple of times, but no change ever took place. And I knew it and made no qualms to let others know it. I had heard about people saying they got something when they didn't, but I wanted it to be real, I didn't want to have to go back to get it! I tried to run and I shudder to even think how many times I turned the Holy Spirit away, but one morning, I gave in.

I remember it was a Tuesday and I was getting ready to go to work. I was putting on my mascara when the Lord gave me a glimpse of my condition, in all it's ugliness and the outcome if I turned him away that morning. And, though nobody else could hear it, I did loud and clear. His voice telling me it was my last opportunity. Well, that was what it took. The Lord giving up on me. I believe he saved me before my knees hit the floor to pray. And since that day, well, I've never been quite the same. I still look the same in some ways, but, make no mistake, I was made a new creature that day, just like He promised in His Word. There have been dry times and valleys that seemed they would never end, but there have also been times where my heart has overflowed and the Lord of Creation has spent time with me. Two days later, I found out I was going to have Lillie , and I can't thank God enough for doing this work in me before my kids were born. I was baptized ( fully dunked in the river, old school style) when I was 8 months pregnant. What a sight, I wish I could find the picture.

As I type this now, my heart overflows with joy and gratitude. It's good to remember from time to time what He's done for me along this journey home.

So that's the story of the one thing I'm most thankful for, for without His pardon, His grace, His mercy, I never would know what true blessings are. Praise the Lord, today and everyday. Happy Thanksgiving to my family, friends and fellow blog buddies. I am thankful for you all!

6 comments:

  1. Wow Della I love hearing your testimony! We do have so much to be thankful for. Christ unfailing love,he gives more grace, unending mercy,supplies our every need.
    I have in the past let Thanksgiving just slide because it was so close to my favorite time of the year Christmas,but not this year and you know I have learned so much right along with my children. It is hard to be content in whatever state you find youself in as Paul wrote in the new testament, but oh what a witness it is. I am reminded of contentment and such faith from a little couple at my church that just lost their only son. They haven't missed a service since their son passed or anything the church has done even traveled with our youth choir to a singing and hour from home. What faith! I have learned so much in the past month and well I see Thanksgiving in a whole new light! We have so much to be Thankful for! It is a holiday so neglected or just called turkey day! How wrong of us to not be a difference on such an awesome and needed holiday!
    thanks della for this post~
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you so much for sharing your testimony. I am rejoicing with you, being a child of God is the best thing that can happen to anybody!! Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am bawling over here. That was just so awesome. Your story, your experience. I'm so glad that our lives crossed paths in this virtual world, I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful Della, thanks so much for sharing that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too had tears in my eyes, it brought to mind the day of my salvation,and I tell you it really never grows old, does it!! I am so thankful for His redeeming sacrfice, and for the salvation that HE so freely gave to me. I can't wait for that glorious day when I will get to bow before Him and tell Him thank you face to face. What a day that will be!!! Happy Thanksgiving Brandie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am most thankful for my two wonderful daughters. -Dad

    ReplyDelete