Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Keeping God on Schedule


Last Wednesday at church, I heard an elderly lady (and a real big blessing everytime I see her) testify and she said something that really resonated. "God isn't as concerned about time as we are." For some reason, those words have played themselves over and over in my mind. And I got to thinking... is that really true. Yes is the answer I came to very quickly. The Bible says in Psalms 90:4 , "For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night." And the apostle Peter said in his second epistle chapter 3 verse 8 "But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." So, that tells me that God's concept of time is not like ours. So, back to what this dear saint said. Why would God, who knows all and controls all, worry about time? He wouldn't. But me and you? We care a great deal about time. And more specifically, our time. Take prayer for instance. I have a prayer request I have offered up on a daily basis for the last 4 years. I see small evidences of the Lord working in the situation, but nothing earth shaking. And many times, I have found myself slapping a time constraint on the Lord. This is what I say: "Lord, I pray for [aforementioned request]. I don't see you working, but I'm trusting you to work your will in the situation." And this is what my heart is really saying: "I just don't get it. I have prayed and prayed and I don't see any real changes. Small ones maybe, but nothing like I expected."
Okay, raise your hand if you've been there. What we really mean is "Lord I'm gonna trust you until next Monday at 3:00pm." Isn't that the truth? Come next Monday at 3:00 pm we stand ready to take over for the Lord. God's timetable is not our timetable. His ways are not our ways, his thoughts not our thoughts (praise the Lord for that). Full trust means that you keep on praying even if it doesn't seem to be doing much good and be faithful, believing that God will bring it to pass . One way or another and sooner or later, God will answer your prayer. Maybe not the way we'd have worked it out, but answered all the same. We have this promise from God that all things will work together for good to them that love him, to those he has called, to those who have answered [Romans 8:28]
Galatians 6:9 says "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not." I Corinthians 15:58 says "Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord." And finally, in Psalms 126:6, "He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him."

No comments:

Post a Comment