Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

What a Hoot!


I am going to combine what should have been yesterday's post with today's because, not a whole lot went on yesterday and I slacked. Lillie Anna didn't do anything really structured yesterday. She played her games on the computer. I did let her play with her foam beads. I got a bucket of 250 of them at the Dollar Tree. I gave her a barbecue skewer and printed off a page that had sequences of the beads and she had to thread them onto the skewer in the order that they were shown on the worksheet. She liked it and it was fairly simple to put together. It gave her some practice on patterns and sequencing.
I can't even remember if we did anything else school related (shame on me). Jackson got busted doing something I can't stand...
And here is a picture of Jackson with his Daddy.
Now, onto today's happenings. Lillie did some reading practice and did a math activity book I downloaded off of Nick Jr. Then Jack joined us for a game of Spell Fun, which I found on clearance at Wal-Mart last month for $3.00! It gives Lillie some needed phonics practice and Jack gets to work on his letter recognition. You may notice in this picture that Lillie Anna looks mad. You're right, she was. Jack was trying to help her and nothing makes her madder than Jack thinking he could possibly do something she can't.

After the "school work" was completed, I read them a story by Thornton Burgess I got off the Munsey's website I discovered the other day. It was called "How the Eyes of Old Mr. Owl Became Fixed". It was a delightful little story that was just packed with zoological information about owls. I didn't know that owls couldn't roll their eyes and that in order to look around they have to swivel their heads and that they can turn their heads all the way around. Freaky. Go to Munsey's and download the book "Mother West Wind How Stories" to find this little gem. Well, then we made an owl craft from DLTK-Kids using their hands as the wings of the owl. The project called to use construction paper cutouts of their hands, but I thought it would be more interesting to use their hand prints. The owl on the left is Lillie's and the owl on the right (with it's foot where it's wings are) is Jack's.

3 comments:

  1. Those projects are cute... nothing makes Hannah more mad than for Kasey to pipe up with an answer to a question that was directed to her! Oh, and you better be glad that there was only Pepsi in that bottle Jack was swigging... I'd keep an eye on that kind of behavior if I were you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, he gets that little habit from Jody, only my nag receptors kick in if I see Jody doing it. I chuckle when Jack does it, then scold him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You girls are too funny. I laugh at just about everything on your blogs. My grandchildren are such wonderful sources for stories. Mom

    ReplyDelete