Search This Blog

Monday, August 13, 2007

That's Your Idea of a Good Time?


Me and the kids have a once a week tradition going on. First, I let them stare into the microwave soaking up as much radiation as possible as they watch a bag of popcorn pop. Then we grab a huge stack of books and I read them...all of them...sometimes more than once. Now, I don't know about anybody else's kids, but mine are like third world dictators when it comes to being read to. They don't let me have any popcorn or skip words. They throw popcorn in my drink and will not accept anything short of me using different voices for different characters and making sound effects. It goes without saying that taking a breath after a sentence or pausing to swallow is out of the question and a big "no,no". But they love it and I love doing it.
Some may snicker at the simplicity of our "fun" but I've learned it doesn't take much to be happy. When I was growing up, we didn't have a whole lot, nothing like alot of kids have today. But I had an imagination and parents who had the knack for making ordinary, everyday things extra ordinary. And when I look back on growing up, it's the simple things that I remember. I thank God for the way I grew up and the childhood he allowed me to have. As I raise my own kids I don't want to wait for "good times" to find us, I want to make them everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment