Search This Blog

Monday, July 25, 2011

Random Acts of Education...

Although I believe structure needs to exist in my "home" school, I'm a big fan of child led learning. While I've been working out school kinks and planning and such, the kids have been "educating" themselves and it's been a rather productive time learning wise for them with and without me. Chloe loves to count dots on dominoes.... And I know I just posted pictures of my school "corner", but I redid some things...so here it is and I rather like it....





The new school table is actually our former living room endtable. It is huge and it's one of those pieces of furniture that stayed when the couch went and it's been shuffled from one end of the living room to the other and served no real function and never fit in anywhere you put it. Now it has a function again.

Okay, so she's not really mad at me...she just wanted me to take her picture "wearing her mad face"...she is really cute when she's angry.



That's her again with, I think, playdoh stuck up her nose...I can't be sure...not really sure I want to be sure....
We were making letters from playdoh...


Okay and so, playdoh is really awesome especially when you make your own because it always comes out a really good level of solidness and squishiness... Now, the objective was for Jack and I to form his sight words out of playdoh...he, as usual, had other things in mind....like...





Making an anatomically accurate (at least for a 6 year old) human cadavor LOL....look at this guys ribs...LOL...his little pencil legs and his Mick Jagger-esque lips and bulging eyes...wow...


All kidding aside, I was quite impressed that Jack not only initiated this on his own, but that it was really quite good. He was telling me the names of bones and organs as he did it and...well, that just goes to show that children not only learn alot on their own but that a relaxed environment really fosters learning and creativity. Learning takes place anytime a child is awake...whether you want them to learn or not...they crave it. And when they find their passion, whether it be zoology or cooking or writing or making playdoh anatomical figures, we as parents should just go with it .

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment